Thursday, October 23, 2014

MY MOTHER'S LOVE FOR AIRPLANES

This poem is dedicated to my Mom. I remember fondly how she sits out at the balcony in our house and watch the airplanes take off and land. It always amused us, that is I and my siblings, how she sat there for hours mesmerized by the beauty of the view and enjoying it . She would talk nonstop about the splendor of airplanes, yet she dreaded flying. I always wondered at this contrast. Today, I understand how she saw airplanes and agree with her that they are indeed majestic, queens of their runway and incomparable to any other means of transportation. Hahahahaha....
I love you Mumma, I wish I had a picture of you looking at an airplane instead of having to borrow a picture that looks nothing like you. LOL. But you understand it is just to depict how you watch airplanes. Lol. Enjoy...Viola!


Again,  I looked out the window and reveled in her beauty. 
She was indeed magnificent as she stood in elegance.
She was everything I imagined her to be. 

I stood and stared as she made her way to the gate.
Her gait on the runway reminded me of nothing but a proud peacock. Swaying from side to side,  she rode in smooth succession until she arrived at the gate.

On the run way,  her elegant stride was not be compared to anyway strut or catwalk I ever saw. None of the Marc Jacobs, Muicia Prada, Giorgio Armani, runway shows could compare to watching her.

She was indeed a queen. The Queen of the runway!
I smiled as I saw her take off. She flew like she owned the air.

Gliding and sliding,  she flew higher.

I drew in my breath knowing that my fear of heights did nothing to stop me from admiring this beauty in all its splendor and elegance.

Elegance,  yes elegant was how I described her yet I felt guilty that that word did not do justice in describing her.

She was... Um.. Um..

I tried again to seek a word to describe her but failed to find the perfect word. So I settled for elegance. Not even my huge French vocabulary could help me in this case. I felt helpless.
But then I brightened up as I saw her up the sky in the fullness of her glory.  She was all I imagined.

Oh!  How I love airplanes. 
Strange kinda love, but worth it.  I'm a satisfied lover.


Oh airplanes!!! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Captivating! Like your mother's fascination for airplanes I must say.Does she still have time to indulge, do you think?

Unknown said...

Thank you ma'am. Actually she doesn't sit and watch planes anymore. And she wants me to say to you (and anyone who is interested to know),that she wasn't 'idling away' just staring at airplanes. Lol. But she definitely was and is fascinated by airplanes.
Thank you again, I am glad you enjoyed reading this piece...