Wednesday, June 25, 2014

MY LAGOS!




















Amazed, I stood and looked out of the window. It is amazing how everybody is in a hurry in Lagos. 

Hmmm, I better start my story from the top. I got a call yesterday to attend an interview with a prestigious media company I have always desired to work in. Relieved and excited, I took the next available flight to Lagos. I took a cab to Uncle Danny’s house.

5AM, the next day I was already all dressed to be at Victoria Island.

‘Nene, I am sorry I cannot drop you off but you can take the BRT buses, okay?’ Uncle Danny explained.

Grateful to Governor Fashola, I sat in the bus at 5:20am, on my way to CMS.

“Ole, ole!!!" I heard someone scream and people looked in the direction.

“Abeg give me my money, I no wan hear story o!” The one screaming thief said, holding on strong to the trousers of the other man.

I looked on as the story unfolded. People stopped to look at what transpires, before we knew it a small mob gathered.

“ I go kill you for here o! You chop witch? Abeg gimme my money”, the angry man continued.

At that point, the traffic chose to move and my bus moved on. Pained, I looked out the window hoping I got to know the whole story. But who am I? A journalist? At all… Lol

Luckily, I got to the place of the interview just in time. I spent the whole day there as there were over a thousand of us, and I wondered at the multitude. The interview, or rather aptitude test took only about minutes and I was vexed that the company made me ‘waste my whole day’ standing under the sun. Mtshew! I hissed. And it was not like I even knew Quantitative Reasoning; someone should have warned me to study the GMAT package more. Ha!

In my annoyance, I focused my energy on finding the next available bus home. Getting to the bus station, the long queue for BRT buses was discouraging. Checking my purse, I counted the change in it and contemplated taking a yellow cab home. I was too tired to stand much longer after standing all day under the sun, not to mention at how my tummy growled and announced to everyone who stood an inch to me that I was starved.

“Kai, me ne ne? I muttered.

I flagged a cab down and he called a ridiculous fare, aggravated I practically pursued the cab man off. Turning around I saw an approaching BRT bus, thanking my God, I started towards the bus. Despite the queue, mehn! You needed to see pushing. One man actually jumped through the window to get a seat, a woman was almost run over by people. Scared, I clutched my bag and just stared at the scramble. Hmmmm… I thought.

Who sent me to Lagos State? I asked no one in particular.

No comments: